Family Lawyers in Reno, NV
Reno Family Law
Matters of the family can be some of the most difficult and personal to resolve. Erin N. Grieve is among the few Reno, NV family lawyers you can truly trust that will get the case resolved as amicably as possible. Whether you need to negotiate a settlement agreement, file an uncontested divorce, or even go to court, she will help you solve your legal problems in a fast and cost-effective manner with her experience being a top family lawyer and divorce attorney in Reno.
This involves anything that requires trial or evidentiary hearing. Trial preparation, witness preparation, and documentary evidence are just a few of the services litigation requires.
For both domestic relationships and civil, this can order the party to stay away from certain areas, refrain from contact, or comply with other restrictions. This can be especially important when children are involved.
This acts as an alternative to divorce. It allows a married couple to separate while still being legally married. Commonly used in mental/addiction cases, a legal separation can be dissolved.
Child Support vs Child Custody
Child support is continual payment made for the financial care of their children and is dependent on the type of custody agreement. Custody determines which parent is legally and physically responsible for the child on a day to day basis.*
Approach to Custody, Visitation, and Family Law:
- Consultation – answer all questions, explain process, evaluate case, probabilities on return, best case and worse case scenario.
- Fee agreement – defining the scope of the relationship and how to implement a plan to meet client goals.
- File Pleadings – are case specific and include filing divorce, motion to modify, and filing necessary legal documents.
- Schedule hearing – dependent on case and needs.
- Present case and negotiate – argue case with judge and opposing party. Parties are free to come to a settlement. If they fail to reach a settlement, then a determination will be made by judge.
- Judicial Determination – a judicial officer presides over the hearing.
- Settlement – it’s better for you to reach a settlement to make the best determination for your child as opposed to a judge making it for you. But if a settlement is not reached, the judge will determine it for you.
*Child support is reviewable through an agency every 3 years and is based on income. If child custody is modified, then child support will be re-adjudicated as well.
Erin N. Grieve, Family Law Attorney Reno NV, serves clients in: Washoe, Storey, Carson City, Minden, Gardnerville, Douglas County, Lyon County and Churchill County.